Chicago is the epitome of different cultures, which manifests in the cuisine scene. Given its high concentration of Indians, the city hosts a variety of Indian eateries such as roadside fast-food joints and luxurious gastronomic outfits where you can find many best Indian restaurants in Chicago.
Upscale Indian restaurants
Visit one of Chicago’s best gourmet Indian Restaurants if you are in search of an unforgettable dining experience. These are modern twist of typical dishes with stylish interiors and personalized waiters services.
- Indienne: Here the restaurant offers contemporary revisions of traditional Indian cuisines in classy and luxurious atmosphere. Indienne is popular for imaginative cocktails and zingy plates of food.
- ROOH: The refined Indian cuisine incorporating seasonality and creativity as key elements. It is an ideal restaurant worth visiting if you are planning a special occasion meal.
- Uru-Swati: Up market contemporary Indian Restaurant serving inventive plates in chic surroundings this. I would recommend Uru-swati for dating, as well as socializing.
Mid-range Indian restaurants
If you are looking for less formal dining atmosphere, check out some of Chicago’s Indian eateries on the middle range. The restaurants provide quality and cheap Indian dishes.
- Basant: A local restaurant that deals with Punjabi and Tandoori food. The grace of the environment and the cordiality of the service are what attract patrons to Basant.
- Cumin: Located within a hotel, it is modern in style and features new age interpretations of classic Indian dishes. If you would like to prepare yourself a quick delicious meal, cumin will be a good option!
- The Spice Room: This is a cozy BYOB that offers an honest, homely Indian cuisine. At the restaurant, one can order some of the less common local foods.
Casual Indian restaurants
For those who are on a tight budget and in need of fast food, any of the Chicago casual Indian restaurants is worth trying. They are fast casual indian restaurants that provide traditional cuisines.
- Superkhana International: Kebabs, chat, and curry are just some examples of street food that this trendy gastropub creates in a unique way. It would be fantastic to dine out there in superkhana international with a bunch of friends.
- Thattu: There is a casual counter serve regional Indian street food specialities such as vada pav, bhel puri, and chaye. If you want something to eat quickly, Thattu would be your best bet.
- Naansense: Creative Indian-inspired sammies, griddled flatbreads, bowls, and sides all fast-served at this fast–casual counter. Naan Sense has many vegan and gluten-free choices.
Other Indian restaurants to consider.
Here are a few other Indian restaurants in Chicago that are worth checking out:
- Ghareeb Nawaz: It is a humble neighborhood joint famous for superb biryani and kebabs.
- Himalayan Sherpa Kitchen: The Restaurant serves both Nepali and Tibetan foods such as momo, thukpa soup, and chicken curry among other dishes for the customers.
- Vermilion: This is an ultra-modern restaurant that provides contemporary Indian food in a stylishly-designed waterfront place.
- EggHolic: It is one of the trendy spots for breakfast and brunch that infuses some Indian twists into its egg dishes and sandwiches.
If you’re in the Windy City and craving the vibrant flavors of Indian cuisine, you’re in for a treat. Chicago boasts a diverse and thriving Indian restaurant scene, offering everything from contemporary interpretations of classic dishes to humble neighborhood joints serving up authentic flavors.
List of 22 Best Indian Restaurants in Chicago
Let’s dive into the delicious culinary adventure as we explore 22 Indian restaurants in Chicago.
1. Indienne: Modern Elegance
Location: 306 N Halsted St, Chicago, IL 60661
Phone: (312) 665-8884
Indienne is a contemporary Indian restaurant with a chic and upscale setting. Known for its creative cocktails and spice-infused plates, this restaurant offers modern interpretations of classic dishes. Signature dishes include tandoori entrees, curries, and seafood. With entrees ranging from $18 to $36, it’s a top choice for a sophisticated Indian dining experience.
2. Lilac Tiger/The Coach House: A Two-in-One Experience
Location: 2642 N Lincoln Ave, Chicago, IL 60614
In one building, you’ll find two unique dining experiences. Lilac Tiger offers innovative Indian small plates in a cozy cafe setting, while The Coach House serves homestyle Indian fare in a fine dining atmosphere. The perfect place to explore a variety of Indian flavors in one visit.
3. ROOH: Progressive Indian Cuisine
Location: 736 W Randolph St, Chicago, IL 60661
Phone: (312) 526-5464
ROOH stands out for its sophisticated, upscale Indian cuisine with a focus on progressive techniques and contemporary presentation. Offering elevated takes on traditional dishes, this sleek, modern dining room is the place to savor dishes like goat biryani, chili garlic salmon, and baida roti, with entrees ranging from $28 to $45.
4. Vajra: Himalayan and Indian Delights
Location: 2029 W North Ave, Chicago, IL 60647
Phone: (872) 444-1169
Vajra offers Nepalese and Indian cuisine in a relaxed neighborhood setting. With an extensive menu of Himalayan and Indian specialties, a full bar, and a friendly vibe, you can enjoy dishes like momos, thukpa soup, and choila salmon at affordable prices, with entrees ranging from $12 to $18.
5. Thattu: Exploring Indian Street Food
Location: 4120 N Broadway, Chicago, IL 60613
Phone: (872) 315-3939
For a taste of regional Indian street food, Thattu is the place to go. This casual counter-serve restaurant offers street snacks like vada pav, bhel puri, and chai, emphasizing classic recipes. Prices are affordable, with street snacks typically under $10. Be sure to try the vada pav, pani puri, and bhel puri.
6. Superkhana International: Trendy Indian Gastropub
Location: 3059 W Diversey Ave, Chicago, IL 60647
Superkhana International is a trendy Indian gastropub known for its creative cocktails and innovative takes on street food, including kebabs, curries, and chaat. The vibrant and energetic ambiance adds to the experience.
7. Rangoli: Homestyle Indian Delights
Location: 2421 W North Ave, Chicago, IL 60647
Phone: (773) 262-2226
Rangoli is all about homestyle Indian dishes with an emphasis on vegetarian options. They offer a large buffet with classics like saag paneer and aloo gobi, along with daily specials. With buffet lunch at $12 and dinner at $15, it’s a great option for those seeking a variety of flavors. Don’t miss the extensive vegetarian thali, chickpea masala, and navratan korma.
8. Basant: Upscale Punjabi Cuisine
Location: 259 E Ontario St #150, Chicago, IL 60611
Phone: (312) 664-4211
Basant is an upscale Indian restaurant with an elegant and romantic ambiance. Specializing in Punjabi cuisine and tandoor dishes, they also offer an extensive wine list. With entrees ranging from $18 to $30, it’s a go-to spot for tandoori meats, saag paneer, and garlic naan.
9. Cumin: Contemporary Indian Flair
Location: 1414 N Milwaukee Ave, Chicago, IL 60622
Phone: (773) 697-0121
Cumin is a sleek and contemporary Indian restaurant known for its innovative takes on traditional recipes. The restaurant is also famous for its artisanal cocktails and a globally-inspired menu.
10. The Spice Room: Cozy BYOB Haven
Location: 2909 N Broadway, Chicago, IL 60657
Phone: (773) 929-4007
At The Spice Room, you’ll find a cozy BYOB spot serving authentic Indian home cooking. The restaurant specializes in lesser-known regional dishes from across India, including Indo-Chinese options. With entrees priced from $15 to $25, it’s a great place to try regional curries like Gujarati khichdi and dal makhani.
11. Ghareeb Nawaz: Biryani and Kebab Haven
Location: 2032 W Devon Ave, Chicago, IL 60659
Ghareeb Nawaz is a humble neighborhood spot known for its excellent biryani and kebabs. This longstanding family-run restaurant serves classic recipes with a friendly and inviting atmosphere.
12. Himalayan Sherpa Kitchen: Nepali and Tibetan Delights
Location: 4227 N Lincoln Ave, Chicago, IL 60618
Phone: (773) 549-3675
Himalayan Sherpa Kitchen offers casual Nepali and Tibetan food, including momos, thukpa soup, and curry. With extensive vegetarian options and a weekday lunch buffet, you can enjoy entrees ranging from $10 to $15. Be sure to try the vegetable momos, chicken chow mein, and thukpa.
13. Mild 2 Spicy: Fast-Casual Indian Street Food
Location: 1559 N Milwaukee Ave, Chicago, IL 60622
Phone: (773) 561-2900
Mild 2 Spicy is your go-to spot for Indian street food favorites like chaat and vada pav in a fast-casual setting. The best part? You can customize the spice levels to suit your taste. With street snacks priced under $10, don’t miss their samosas, papdi chaat, and paneer rolls.
14. Uru-Swati: Upscale Contemporary Indian Cuisine
Location: 2629 W Devon Ave, Chicago, IL 60659
Phone: (773) 274-7525
Uru-Swati is all about serving upscale contemporary Indian cuisine in modern and elegant surroundings. Their inventive menu also includes artisanal cocktails.
15. Chiya Chai Cafe: Charming Tea and Snack Spot
Location: 2770 N Milwaukee Ave, Chicago, IL 60647
The Chiya Chai Cafe is a charming spot offering Indian street snacks and sweets alongside an extensive tea menu. Its cozy and laid-back ambiance makes it a great place to enjoy creamy chais, scones, and paneer pies, all at prices under $5.
16. The Momo World: Dumplings Galore
Location: 3057 N Broadway, Chicago, IL 60657
If you’re a fan of dumplings, The Momo World is the place to be. This specialty momo shop prepares Himalayan dumplings stuffed with meat or veggie fillings. They also serve noodle and rice dishes to satisfy your cravings.
17. Khan B.B.Q.: Halal Barbecue Delights
Location: 2653 W Lawrence Ave, Chicago, IL 60625
Khan B.B.Q. is a halal Pakistani and Indian barbecue joint known for its tender kebabs and biryanis. It’s a BYOB spot with platters ranging from $12 to $20. Don’t miss the seekh kebabs, haleem, nihari, and biryani.
18. Sabri Nihari: 24/7 Pakistani Comfort Food
Location: 2502 W Devon Ave, Chicago, IL 60659
Sabri Nihari is a humble, stripped-down Pakistani restaurant that’s open 24/7. It’s hugely popular for its nihari stew and paya soup.
19. Udupi Palace: South Indian Vegetarian Delights
Location: 2543 W Devon Ave, Chicago, IL 60659
Udupi Palace specializes in South Indian vegetarian cuisine, with a focus on dosa crepes and udupi-style meals. It offers informal cafeteria-style dining with meals typically priced between $10 and $15. Try the masala dosa, idli sambar, and vada for a true South Indian experience.
20. Naansense: Fast-Casual Indian Fusion
Location: 1333 N Milwaukee Ave, Chicago, IL 60622
Phone: (773) 772-6600
Naansense is a fast-casual counter serving creative Indian-inspired sandwiches, flatbreads, bowls, and sides. With extensive vegan and gluten-free options, it’s a place to enjoy sandwiches and more, typically priced between $8 and $12. Explore creative options like the chicken tikka panini and aloo paratha tacos.
21. Vermilion: Artful Contemporary Indian Cuisine
Location: 10 W Hubbard St, Chicago, IL 60654
Phone: (312) 466-1000
Vermilion offers sophisticated, contemporary Indian cuisine in a dramatically designed waterfront space. The restaurant focuses on seasonal ingredients and artful presentation, with entrees ranging from $28 to $45. Highlights include the Kerala fish curry, subz handi, and gulab jamun.
22. EggHolic: Indian-Inspired Breakfast and Brunch
Location: 2027 W Division St, Chicago, IL 60622
Phone: (872) 802-8855
EggHolic is a trendy breakfast and brunch spot that puts an Indian twist on egg dishes and sandwiches. It’s also known for its unique chai options. You can enjoy entrees ranging from $8 to $12, with signature dishes including the masala omelette and keema pav.
Chicago’s Indian restaurant scene is as diverse as the city itself. Whether you’re looking for a modern and upscale experience or craving the flavors of authentic home-cooked dishes, there’s a restaurant on this list to satisfy your every Indian culinary desire. So, grab your family and friends and embark on a delectable journey through Chicago’s Indian cuisine.
One way of choosing a good restaurant is by the kind of Indian cuisine it serves and the amount one pays for each cuisine. There are innumerable choices with each serving unique and deliciously flavoured Indian dishes.
What is the largest Indian restaurant chain in the US?
Bawarchi Indian Cuisine is the biggest Indian restaurant chain in the US. It began in Texas and spread to the current fifty branches within the country. There is another Indian restaurant chain that is growing really fast in the US called Honest Indian Street Food, which initially hails from Ahmedabad, India and currently has 39 franchise locations throughout the country.
Where is Indian Street in Chicago?
Little India in Chicago stretches for one mile of Devon Avenue which lies within the West Ridge area and covers the zone from California Avenue to Damen Avenue on the western side. It abounds in Indian and Pakistani culture.
Which US city has the best Indian food?
Although, it is not clear what, but NJ especially Jersey city has the diverse areas with many different Indian restaurants and Indian neighborhoods. There are other famous cities which offer Indian cuisines such as Denver, San Francisco, Atlanta, and Portland.
Which city in USA has most Indian restaurants?
There is no definite answer to this but NYC has a wide range of choice in Indian foods.